<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Getting Back in Shape 

Most people this time of year have devised new and improved ways to lose weight, increase their muscle mass, and decrease their waistline. I am facing the task of getting my pens, pencils, and wits sharpened for yet another season of baseball here and ESPN and ITH (insidethehalo.blogspot.com). I’m looking forward to April 4 just as I know you are (otherwise I would hope you could find better ways to spend your time than by reading a baseball column). So, now that my inbox is almost empty for a change, excuse me while I [snap], [crackle], and [pop] my knuckles and try and get back down to my fighting weight, get all my ducks in a row, and get back up on the horse. One thing is for sure--my truckloads of clichés are definitely alive and kickin'.

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

That's right. It's official. How long it sticks could be determined by a long and sticky court battle--one of which I want no part. I will, however, happily offer my take …I like it--as a business decision. I hear the outrage of Angels fans in Anaheim and understand that quite well also. But here's a take from someone who has no affiliation with LA or the OC. Bottom line--it very well could be good long-term business decision. Is it silly? Any official title for a team that includes the word "of" qualifies as silly, yes. But LA baseball is the Dodgers, even if they originally came from Brooklyn. So, the time for the Angels to perform is now in 2005. Because if they slip into mediocrity, I'm afraid that Arte Moreno may have just made the Angels into the new Mets, White Sox, and Clippers. No Angels fan wants to be a step-kid.

I'll be honest, when I first read the press release, I really, really liked the idea. But having digested many (way too many) opinions on the matter since, I'm starting to see all the other ramifications of this. The Angels actually play in Anaheim. That city, although they wrote a very flawed lease, put a lot into having that "Anaheim" in front of their beloved Angels. Some fans became Angels fans because they weren't identified with LA. But there is a bit of posturing by the city too, as far as I'm concerned. I realize they're under lease to have their name with the Angels, but Anaheim mayor Curt Pringle said just last month that an NFL team in Anaheim would be benefit because the city is "certainly firmly in the center of the LA market." Host and parasite?

Look, Anaheim, in terms of MLB city population, ranks only above Tampa, Florida (and that's only if you don't include St. Petersburg, which put TB ahead by over 200,000). Yes, Anaheim is smaller than Cincinnati. And Arlington, Texas. And Pittsburgh. And Kansas City. And Minneapolis (even without St. Paul). In terms of population, Anaheim should be a small market team by that measure, right? 2004's 101 million dollar clearly shows otherwise. The Angels are obviously benefiting from the LA market, named that way or not. The other side should say that if they're already benefiting from LA money, which is Moreno's publicly-stated number one reason for the name change, then what's all the hubbub, Bub? Isn't this an "ain't-broke-don't-fix" situation?

Whether you like it or not, it's a reality. Don’t look for Arte and the gang to beat their fans, who already feel a little upset over the head with the LA moniker. It won't be on the unis, gear, and the Angels haven't submitted any logo or color change. Good thing too, because a poll taken at ESPN.com this very day showed over 100,000 voters preferring Anaheim at 47%, to California at 43% and Los Angeles at 8%. I'll say this and let it drop--there was a Los Angeles Angels (of the PCL) in LA before they were forced to move when the Dodgers of the National League showed up in 1958. Later, when the MLB LA Angels (now an expansion team) began their 2nd year of play, guess where they called home? Well, the Angels called it Chavez Ravine, but it's real name was--and is--Dodger Stadium.

Offseason Shuffle

The great Jerry Seinfeld has noted that all sports fans are really doing is rooting for laundry and that never seems more true than during the Hot Stove League, when free agents are being dealt like the Topps and Upper Deck cards that bear their names and visages. My first in-depth task in the New Year will be to take a look at each of these moves for the Angels, from the big to the small, and forecast what it means for the Halos on the field and on your fantasy roster. I won't be able to cover all those here, but rest assured you'll be able to read the breakdown in full format at Inside the Halo. Look for that here and there in the next week.

ITH Offices Open for Business

Sure, we only have a staff of one, but we're ready to serve. The e-mail is insidethehalo@insightbb.com if you want to take part. I've recently uncovered some older e-mails that I apparently haven't answered yet, and if yours is one of that bunch, rest assured your response will be out to you shortly (albeit long after I'm sure you wanted it). With those final few e-mails answered, we've renew our New Year's Resolution for 2004 in 2005: answer each and every single one of your Halo queries (okay, each and every one of the least combative, non-profanity-laced ones anyway.) I look forward to an exciting '05 with all of you that will hopefully end with the biggest mouthfuls ever inscribed on the World Series trophy: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim--2005 World Champions. For the Angels, Matt Allen--ESPN.